Brown University IE Brown Executive MBA IE Business School
IE Brown Executive MBA
Print Send to a friend

University Diploma

Those students in possession of an official university diploma, or with an equivalent official diploma that allows access to post-graduate studies in the country of your university studies, will be awarded an Official University Master in Business Administration from IE University.

This official university diploma is adapted to the European Higher Education Area in accordance with the Bologna Process. It is worth 60 credits ECTS and provides you with access to third cycle studies, and therefore, to doctorate programs.

Requirements to enroll in the official master

To meet all the requirements set by the Spanish Authorities, we kindly ask you to come to Madrid with the following documentation ready in order to formally enroll you in IE University at the Registrar's Office (María de Molina 4), from 15:30h to 22:00h. The requirements are:

  • To have a Spanish bachelor´s degree certificate or equivalent (not your academic transcripts).
  • In case your bachelor´s degree is from outside of Europe, your degree certificate must attest a level of studies equivalent to a Spanish university degree that would allow you access to postgraduate studies in your country of study.
  • Additionally:

Requirements for foreign university degrees

  • If the university degree was issued outside of the European Union (UE) or Switzerland, it should be legalized (either via the Hague Apostille or through diplomatic/consular legalization procedures). If you prefer not to bring your original diploma, please note that the certified true copy has to be done after the legalization.
  • If the Diploma is not in Spanish, English, French, Italian, Portuguese or Latin: a sworn translation is needed.
* It is important to note that the required degree is the university degree (Bachelor´s, Arquitect, Engineer, or other equivalent university degree), and NOT the academic transcript.

Frequently asked questions

What does "legalized university diploma" mean?

In order to be recognized abroad, public documents (for example, university diplomas, notarized documents, birth or marriage certificates, or police records) should be legalized (*). For the legalization (or authentication) of public or official documents in order for them to be recognized in Spain, there are only two options:

  • Legalization by the Hague Apostille
  • Legalization through diplomatic or consular channels (in the Spanish embassy or consulates in the country where the document was issued). These options are mutually exclusive, i.e. your documents can only be legalized in one of the two ways in order for the legalization to be valid in Spain.
Hague Apostille Legalization

If the public document to be legalized was issued by a member country of the Hague Convention of 1961 and is presented to another member country of the Convention, the only legalization necessary is the Hague Apostille. The apostille consists of a single process by the competent authorities in the country issuing the public document.

Since Spain is a member of the Convention, if the country from which your documents proceed is also a member of the Hague Convention than you can have the apostille affixed to your document.

Each member country determines the competent authorities for getting the apostille on public documents. Therefore, you should inquire about the appropriate competent authority in your country.

Diplomatic or Consular Legalization

If the country issuing the public document is not a member of the Hague Convention, the legalization should be done through Spanish embassies or consulates in that country.

In this case, legalizations consist of a series of normally three consecutive seals (or stamps), always in the same order (to skip a seal would result in an incomplete legalization and the document wouldn´t be valid in Spain nor could a skipped seal be completed in Spain). Normally, the process is:

  • Recognition in the country of the document´s origin by the authorities in the competent Ministry or department, of the signatures on the original document, in this case the Ministry of Education.
  • Seal by the country´s Ministry of Foreign Affairs, recognizing the prior seal.
  • Recognition of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs´ seal by the Spanish consulate or Embassy in the originating country.

In special cases: recognition of the diplomatic/consular authority´s signature by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Spain (Legalization Section on Calle Serrano Galvache, 26 Madrid).

This kind of legalization can vary from country to country or may consist of fewer seals; therefore it is recommended that you ask for more information regarding the correct procedure.

Where should I legalize my documents?
Legalizations must always be done in the country from which the university diploma originates.
What options do I have if I don´t want to travel to Madrid with my original diploma?
In case you don´t want to bring your original diploma, you can bring a notarized copy or a certified and true copy of your diploma. This means that an authorized notary or a civil servant looks at the original document and seals a copy where it is stated that the copy is authentic and true.
I have to legalize, translate, and make a certified copy of my diploma. In what order should I do it?
The correct order is as follows:
  • ALWAYS legalize your original diploma (via the Hague Apostille or diplomatic/consular channels).
  • Translate the previously legalized diploma.
  • Make a certified and true copy or a notarized copy of the diploma after the first two steps are completed.
Documents that haven´t followed this order will not be accepted.
Translation of Diplomas
You can find a complete list of sworn translators here.
I´ve studied in Spain but I still haven´t been given my university diploma. What should I present instead?
Students who have studied in Spain and haven´t yet received their university diploma can submit:
  • Their complete academic transcript, and
  • A copy of the receipt of having paid the fees for the issuance of their diploma.
I also have a Master and/or I´ve completed a Doctorate. What documents should I present?

Those students who, in addition to their university degree also have a Master and/or Doctorates, should always present the first degree (Bachelors, graduate, etc.) as this is what permits one to access a post graduate Masters.

IE Brown Blog

More Info

Online Application

Download Brochure

Interactive Brochure



Upcoming Events
Brown University
Providence, Rhode Island, USA
Facebook    Twitter    You Tube
IE Business School
Madrid, Spain
Close the window
Send to a friend

If you want a friend to receive this information by e-mail, do it from here. Fill in his/her contact details and, if you want, personalize the text message.